COUNSELING & SUPPORT GROUPS
CWS offers free Counseling with a trained counselor in a safe, non judgmental environment for
survivors and their families. Using best practices and an understanding of trauma-informed care, these
counselors support and affirm that the survivor is the “best expert” on her/his own life and validate
her as she makes important, life-changing decisions.
Support Groups offer a group environment for survivor participants to come together to share and support one another in a safe, non-judgmental and often confidential environment. Facilitated by staff and highly trained volunteers most support groups meet once a week during evening hours on a drop-in basis.
Counseling Program Philosophy
- Non-judgmental support (choices are not rated good or bad)
- Listening with respect
- Increase understanding of issues surrounding domestic and sexual violence
- Survivor empowerment
- Validation that survivor is the “best expert” on her/his own life
- Provide tools to alleviate symptoms related to trauma
- Provide services from a trauma informed perspective
- Provide best available information to make decisions
- Provide a safe, secure and confidential environment